2019/20 WINTER TRYOUT TRYOUT PROCESS:
● All players wanting to be placed on a travel team for the upcoming season must register and attend tryouts.
● The purpose of tryouts is to evaluate a player's skating ability, hockey skills and commitment to teamwork in order to place him or her with a team that will provide the best environment for developing as hockey players and improving their self-confidence and enjoyment of the sport of ice hockey.
● All players are required to attend tryouts at their birth year level. There may however be a situation where the program allows a player to attend a tryout for an older birth year after the first tryout session if that placement is determined to be beneficial to the player and the program as a whole. This will be at the evaluator panel's discretion and will be discussed with the player's family.
● A panel of SoNo professional coaches, which will include each team’s head and assistant coaches, will assess skating ability and hockey skills at each level during scheduled tryout sessions.
● All levels will include a scrimmage component as part of the evaluation process.
● An additional input to a player's respective hockey abilities and understanding of team concepts might be provided by the previous year's coach if within the organization.
● Tryout formats for each level may vary in relation to the age and experience of t2018he player pool.
● After the first tryout, players numbers will be posted on the CT Junior Whalers website (http://ctjrwhalers.assn.la/) indicating which group they have been chosen for in their birth year (Group 1 or 2) for the second tryout.
● After the second tryout, players numbers will be posted on the CT Junior Whalers website (http://ctjrwhalers.assn.la/) indicating which group they have been chosen for in their birth year (Group A or B) for the third tryout**.
● For the third tryout, parents will be required to give a $1,000 deposit check before their player can participate in the 3rd tryout session. If your player is selected for a Tier 1 or Tier 2 team, the $1,000 deposit check will be applied towards your tuition. If you decline the position, you forfeit the $1,000 deposit check. For the avoidance of doubt, if you are not selected for a team, we will destroy the check. The same goes for players at the third Tier 1 tryout that are not selected for the Tier 1 team - If they do not wish to play Tier 2, then their check will be destroyed. Please note there will be NO EXCEPTIONS for this.
● Please make checks payable to: CT Junior Whalers
**Please note a fourth tryout may be required for certain players and we will communicate this as soon as possible if necessary.
PLAYER SELECTION PROCESS:
● Players chosen for the Tier 1 teams will be notified within 48 hours after the third tryout. You will have 24 hours from when the offer was made to accept and provide a signed commitment letter or your player’s position will be offered to an alternate player.
● Players chosen for the Tier 2 teams will be notified by March 17th . You will have 24 hours from when the offer was made to accept and provide a signed commitment letter or your player’s position will be offered to an alternate player.
Thank you for your understanding during the tryout process and good luck to all the players!
Please call or email us should you have any questions! MAIDE@SONOICE.COM OR 203-956-0255